I’m so happy everyone is so interested in the BSI contest this week!!! I’ve already asked Nick to help me decide the winner because I know I won’t be able to make a final decision!
Today for lunch, I planned on having my homemade corn soup with some black bean burgers. I normally buy the Morningstar Farm spicy black bean burgers, but today, I decided to try my luck at making my own.
While the flavor was good, I think I need to work on the binding/technique. Mine fell apart so I topped my salad with it, but the rest turned out great!
My burgers were a mix of:
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- about 1/2 cup fat free refried beans
- 2 Tbsp finely ground cornmeal
- garlic powder
I mashed all of the ingredients together in a bowl, formed them into patties and cooked them in a pan until crispy on the outside.
Nick had his on an Arnold Thin, and I put mine on a salad of romaine, tomato, and avocado with some lime juice.
Yum! These tasted great!
I also had about a cup of my soup:
Brandi’s Kinda’ Corn Chowder
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- 1 can fat free evaporated milk
- crushed red pepper
- garlic powder
1. Saute onion and pepper in a little oil until softened.
2. Add in bag of corn and water and cook until corn is heated through/no longer frozen.
3. Stir in seasonings and milk. Puree 1/2 of soup in blender and return to pot.
I’m working on the last of the laundry right now and we’re planning on going running in a little bit while we still have nice weather! Cleaning, dinner, and Iron Chef are up next :)