I still just can’t get over how nice the day was today! I hope you’ve had a good Saturday :)
I finished all the laundry today, except the sheets, which I’ll do tomorrow. It feels nice to have most of that done!
Tonight’s dinner was created as my Healthy Valentine entry for the Oh, She Glows contest -and it turned out good!
Heart-y Beef Stroganoff
This meal, not only “had” heart, but is pretty heart healthy!
The stroganoff included:
- 1 tsp. olive oil (rich in monounsaturated fats)
- 1/2 red onion, diced (chromium, vitamin C, flavonoids)
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (selenium, riboflavin, potassium, niacin, phosphorus)
- 1 lb. Laura’s extra lean ground beef (protein, vitamin B12, vitamin B6)
- beef broth
- water + 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard (selenium, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, zinc, etc)
- 1/4 cup fat free plain yogurt (calcium, vitamin B2, zinc, potassium, protein)
- 2 cups (cooked) fresh whole wheat pasta
- diced tomato
- salt, pepper, thyme
This is such a comfort food meal! I loved that it’s so easy to make really good, healthy, comfort meals that still taste great.
Since the goal of the contest was to make a Valentine’s Day meal/snack/dessert, I knew I wanted something filling and comforting. What is more comforting than beef stroganoff?
Served with a tomato heart and steamed peas on the side, this was a perfect Healthy Valentine’s meal. I know, I know….it’s not Valentine’s Day :) We’ll be out of town that weekend anyways, so I figured I would test out my healthy meal tonight instead – plus, I had to make Angela’s deadline! :)
Of course….what’s a Valentine’s meal without a dessert?
We made a mix of chocolate dipped almonds and pretzels – and they turned out SO good! The perfect sweet ending, but still pretty good for you!
I’m enjoying this plate and watching “Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves” with Nick – it’s a bit cheesier than we remember, but still a good movie :)
Make sure to check out Oh, She Glows for the contest rules if you want to enter! The deadline is Sunday (tomorrow!)